Have a sweet ride? Tell us all about here!
By jumpinwired
Posts Avatar
macuserman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:22 am

And????

Mine.

So it seems that all three gears are working. Just seems like the gearing is screwy. It shifts into 3rd somewhere around 25mph and that’s it. Runs about 4k rpms at 70mph. Drove it home around 55-60mph at about 3500rpms. I’m going to take a short video of it shifting through the gears and post it for everyone to see. Seems to shift great. Not hard and doesn’t slip.

Got an inspection today and it failed on the exhaust leaks. The guy just said multiple leaks. I’m likely going to try to use some of that exhaust tape on the holes. See if that will work for some of them. I think it needs a gasket right before the cat but I didn’t really look too close yet.

I was sure to tell the guy about the rust and he said he’s seen a lot worse. Left it at that. Obviously it’s going to progress but I’m planning to take a rust and paint removal wheel to it and just see how bad it is. There are a few patches of something already under the drivers side.

Overall I didn’t have any other issues with the vehicle on the way home. It’s 30 years old. Has some signs of its age but it drives nice and tight.

The guy mentioned that it sat for some time while the previous owner had it. It’s pretty nasty under the back side. Lot of rust starting and corrosion on the brake lines. The suspension parts are all covered in rust except some brand new struts he put in. It looks like mostly surface rust but I think the only way to address the issue would be to take it all apart to clean it off. A lot of work.

The interior is good. A couple of little stains that might come out. The panels with the speakers in the back are faded where it meets the window. The dash is good, maybe a little bit of shrinkage but no cracks or glue for a phone mount. The usual like the faded window cranks and door handles. The door cards look really good, carpet too. Might be metro carpet though.

Had all four wheel covers when I left for home. Found out I lost one in the first 50 miles or so. 🙄 I guess I should have taken them off but I don’t think I’ve ever had that problem before. They are not perfect by any means but they probably could have been sanded and repainted.

Factory Suzuki head unit in the dash. No signal out of the speakers though. Everything seems to function so there may be one of the speaker leads pinched or shorted.

Lots of stuff I could say. I’ll try to post up more info as I remember. The best part is, the motor sounds perfect and no signs of a blown head gasket or over heating.
By Walt
Posts Donations Avatar
:laugh:

Jeah good for you.
For information regarding the auto transmission.
There is a claer and use full chapter in the Suzuki SF 413 GTi service manual.
Look it up ;-)

Enjoy you ’new’ride :P
jumpinwired liked this
By jumpinwired
Posts Avatar
Gas leak. No wonder I was only getting 29mpg. $2 of fuel line did the trick nicely.

Here is a shot of the spare tire well from below. I think it’s getting worse everytime I look at it. Grabbed under the drivers side while changing the fuel line. Came out with a handful of car. You can see in the video above, plenty of rust around there.

And a shot of my missing wheel cover.

By jumpinwired
Posts Avatar
To be clear, I’m not sure yet if this is going to be a parts car or if I’m going to keep it. It’s rusted pretty bad underneath so I’m guessing that I will be parting it at some point.

For now I am planning to make enough repairs to pass safety inspection and drive it this winter. Ultimately this will provide a good motor for my other GTi found in this thread.

89′ GTi blown head gasket
By jumpinwired
Posts Avatar
Project noise reduction today.

Heat shield from the top of the cat. Not attached to anything and made a nice rattle sound when you release the throttle.

Found a couple of those exhaust leaks the guy was talking about.

He gone!

So since I happen to have an extra exhaust system from my other 89′, I’m just going to slap that manifold on with a new donut gasket in front of the cat and get it reinspected.
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
sure, its a parts car, i just gotta fix this, so i can make sure it runs properly…after 2 or three years of constant driving…. :laugh:
jumpinwired liked this
By macuserman
I was worried it was a parts car which is why I passed on it, good enough to drive for awhile but perhaps not good enough to warrant saving without a lot of time and money. I’m glad you are having fun with it though, and I am still calling dibs on the Auto gear whenever you get to that point. :laugh:
By jumpinwired
Posts Avatar
So I put on my other exhaust manifold from the white car and patched up all the leaks I could find with some exhaust putty from the parts store.

Passed the inspection. Took the paperwork to the DMV and waited in line. When they called my number, I went and gave everything to the lady behind the desk. She looked at the BOS and asked the employee next to her “do we take these without the addresses on the BOS?” :bored: He said no. So I sent an electronic copy to the seller and he signed it and sent it by mail. Hopefully I will get that early this coming week.

In the mean time I decided to give a testing on the factory head unit and I found out that the speaker outputs were not giving any signal. Checked each speaker for functionality with a 9V battery and a couple of wire leads, they are all working fine.

Here is a shot of a wiring harness that was trapped in between the radio and the mounting bracket.

Pulled the head unit apart and find a huge glob of mouse urine and faecese on the circuit board for the speaker wires. I tried cleaning it up and put it back together but there must be something fried in there. Sorry I didn’t get any pictures of that for you. :P

I pulled the unit out of my white GTi and found that the factory wire harnesses had been cut. No surprise to me but this is always unfortunate.

The red GTi still had the harnesses so I’m going to put that unit from the white GTi in there. I need to get a set of harnesses for the radio of course so I don’t have to cut the factory wiring in the red GTi.

Got a shot of the radiator while I was under the car. I’m sure it’s fine.

Also found an oil leak. Here’s a short video of that.

More MK1 rebuild stuff

Months of Covid shutdown and still no time or moti[…]

hood/bonnet damper kit

The pad under the hood/bonnet is called a 'silen[…]

sad that so many of his cars are rotting/ sitting […]

T Shirts Now Available!!

Hey guys I posted a link at the GMF to this thre[…]