By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I think I'm going to go with this spot caliper. I don't see how the other spot caliper would work to lock down the brake cable. This one at least makes sense on how to install it. I'm going to go with a 1/4" bracket in aluminum that just uses two of the circle holes. This is just for the parking brake. It is 3.3 lbs with pads, but it has the lock down arm which I would have had to make something or figure out how to mount the heavy stock bracket. Going with this one ends up being probably combined in the same ball park as the stock setup, but it is by far a better setup then using a Wilwood parking brake combination caliper which might not even fit.

This is the other spot caliper that I was going to go with. It is lighter (1.7lbs), but again there is no way to lock the brake cable in place and it is really unclear what kind of mount I would need to make. The trouble of making the additional component to lock the cable down is not encouraging. There were also some reviews about the Wilwood spot caliper not working well.

By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I worked through the design for the MC4 spot caliper. I have a good idea how to draw it up easily. The good news is it a single side cut, which makes the wait time on these things shorter. It will be made out 1/4" aluminum plate roughly 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". The design actually looks like the Honda symbol. It should weigh less than 3/4 lbs. The aluminum Dynapro rear bracket weighs 1.3 lbs. The combined two aluminum mounting brackets still should weigh less than the one steel bracket. The combined total weight of the two calipers 3.6 lbs for the Forged Dynapro Lug Mount Low Profile (120-12160-BK) and 3.3 lbs for the MC4 Mechanical Caliper (left 120-12070-BK) (right 120-12069-BK) 6.9 lbs I believe is still lighter than the one stock caliper with metal bracket. I could have made a bracket to fit the Wilwood combination parking brake caliper which would of weighed less at 6.1 lbs. However, the rear Dynapro is 4 piston with a better ratio clamping force match with the front 1.75" Dynapro caliper above, is not a floating design, and it has a 5.1 sq in area instead of a 4 sq in area brake pad. The price for the two caliper wise is close, but obviously cutting the 2nd bracket would not make it equal.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
Will I crunched through today the FreeCad file for the bracket to the MC4 Spot Caliper.

Since the last time I used the program I suddenly got better. From start to finish it only took be a little over an hour. This is not including the time to get the measurements.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
Still waiting on the manual parking caliper bracket. Until then nothing as changed as far as finishing this project.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I want to get the complete brake project done. It is on my list of things to do after the turbo install. It has been so long that I am forgetting some of the details of my own project. I’m just going to list the hold ups so it is sitting in my mind more clearly:
  1. Rear right hand side of mount needs to be drilled up side down for bolt pattern.
  2. Test fit both sides.
  3. Road test and make sure everything stops correctly and that the proportion to front is as calculated. That is it for the main rear brake calipers.
  4. However, the emergency/ parking brake I need to check the angel of the stock parking brake cable and adjust the hole bolt pattern on the design of the bracket to fit at a smoother angle. Best guess is that the bolt pattern will need to shift 20 degrees circular rotation clockwise on right rear , and 20 degrees counter clockwise on left rear. This will but the stock cable close to where it was in the stock setup.
  5. Pay someone to cnc the brackets out.
  6. Test fit.
  7. Road test. Done!
  8. This doesn’t need to be done, but I still want to eventually buy hydraulic handbrake system to go with the rear main brake calipers.
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
Not a bad write up.
Back in our day. We did our big brakes with OEM Honda calipers and Nissan rotors. We got like 11.5 front and 10 in the rear. Our front caliper was a straight bolt up and the rear needed a flat bracket.
new job

:-o wow :-o i wrote a small list of items for t[…]

I have a complete set. I only installed the insid[…]

HVAC Foam Seals

Some images to go with. I'm not sure if he is sti[…]

RZCrew Garage Intakes

I have this saved on my car sites. Looks better m[…]