Have a service you'd like to offer? Making your own aftermarket parts? Post it here!

MAF Options

I’m interested in a drop in factory option using the factory housing.
23%
I’m more interested in a replacement that allows me to ditch the factory housing and use a custom pipe and filter.
38%
I’d be interested in either.
38%
By macuserman
My friend Jay is trying to see if he can get some new MAF sensors made potentially either to fit right into the old MAF housing or also as a completely new thing that does not need the original housing at all. He asked me to create a post here to gauge interest. Please comment in the poll if you are interested and I’ll let him add any details to this as he works on it.
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
No that was pretty much it. I looked into larger size calibrations. But it is too problematic for the manufacturer without a set minimum order. But I am hoping to be able to do it as a drop in the pipe style sensor. So it will not need the aluminum housing. But this will also mean a new intake pipe will need to be made. I am hoping we can also maintain the OE connector.
By fireflyse
Custom Custom Avatar
What do these fit?
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
There is a lot of science that goes into the exact placement location of the MAF sensor. A lot of it has to do with trying to achieve laminar flow of air to the sensor while still maintaining some kind of protection for the sensor. One of the primary requirements is having a straight pipe up stream from the sensor that is double the diameter of the pipe in distance from the sensor that is a constant diameter. For example the stock diameter to the sensor is 3″ and that means there should be 6″ of uninterrupted 3″ straight pipe up stream from the sensor. The stock location does not meet this because it doesn’t have the space before the 90 degree bend out the fender wall. What they did instead is come up with the in line filter to diffuse the air flow to make the air flow less angular coming out of the 90 degree bend. There is a good write up of this in Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish.

I still need to weld the MAF adapter to the blow off valve pipe. Once I go standalone I will most likely go to a MAP sensor and remove any obstruction in the intake piping. I will likely go back to the same diameter of the down stream piping which is 2 ½″. To be honest the 2″ passage through the stock MAF is not likely to restrict the air to anything that an NA system is going to put out in a G13B. In fact when I calculated turbulence pressure restriction through a round pipe your not seeing much below 500 hp system with a 2″ piping as long as the bends being used are smooth and the number of bends is as few as you can get. For example using two 45 degrees to get a 90 degree will greatly reduce the pressure restriction. I think having an aftermarket sensor to drop into the stock housing would be a nice option for most people.
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
GT4LIFE wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:56 pm

There is a lot of science that goes into the exact placement location of the MAF sensor. A lot of it has to do with trying to achieve laminar flow of air to the sensor while still maintaining some kind of protection for the sensor. One of the primary requirements is having a straight pipe up stream from the sensor that is double the diameter of the pipe in distance from the sensor that is a constant diameter. For example the stock diameter to the sensor is 3″ and that means there should be 6″ of uninterrupted 3″ straight pipe up stream from the sensor. The stock location does not meet this because it doesn’t have the space before the 90 degree bend out the fender wall. What they did instead is come up with the in line filter to diffuse the air flow to make the air flow less angular coming out of the 90 degree bend. There is a good write up of this in Engine Management Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish.

I still need to weld the MAF adapter to the blow off valve pipe. Once I go standalone I will most likely go to a MAP sensor and remove any obstruction in the intake piping. I will likely go back to the same diameter of the down stream piping which is 2 ½″. To be honest the 2″ passage through the stock MAF is not likely to restrict the air to anything that an NA system is going to put out in a G13B. In fact when I calculated turbulence pressure restriction through a round pipe your not seeing much below 500 hp system with a 2″ piping as long as the bends being used are smooth and the number of bends is as few as you can get. For example using two 45 degrees to get a 90 degree will greatly reduce the pressure restriction. I think having an aftermarket sensor to drop into the stock housing would be a nice option for most people.

Glad to see you have a grasp of what is going on.
But this is not the first time I have done something like this. If you are interested. I can tell you how to retrofit the Ford MAF housing to the OE sensor. But it requires machining. Same with larger throttle body.

I may have been doing these cars and others longer or more than you bud. But thanks for the concern. I do not plan on doing one calibrated for blow through. Just Naturally aspirated.
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
Cost and R&D will make a drop in sensor without the aluminum housing. Not doable. I am still working with them on a direct replacement. Sensor only. But I have not seen much interest for something real expensive for the whole MAF new. Or hard to come by used.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
I wasn’t trying to put down the idea. I was only trying to provide information that a lot of people probably don’t know in order to steer people in one of the three options given. I would say that the stock MAF sensor/housing probably gives the ECU a pretty accurate reading across the rpm band and that without the narrowing down to 2″ with the sensor located outside that 2″ tunnel that it would be less accurate. This is why I voted for the first option an aftermarket MAF sensor replacement that drops into the stock housing for NA setups. I think as these sensor age this affordable option would be a great benefit to the community.
macuserman, Walt liked this
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
I guess no one is worried that these are discontinued and there is no one manufacturing them. I guess everyone will hope they can find a functioning used one forever.
92 Black GT

I tighten my alternator today, cleaned down the ca[…]

new job

:-o wow :-o i wrote a small list of items for t[…]

I have a complete set. I only installed the insid[…]

HVAC Foam Seals

Some images to go with. I'm not sure if he is sti[…]