Have a service you'd like to offer? Making your own aftermarket parts? Post it here!
By macuserman
3-Tech Performance(suprf1y):
Lift/Duration at .050″

335/200 good street performer rough idle. Can be combined with 210/340 on exh for more RPM

340/210 street/mild race rougher idle

365/222* very aggressive street/race. Very rough but stable idle

Catcams: http://www.catcams.com/engines/camshaft-setup.aspx

PiperCams:https://www.pipercams.co.uk/Camshafts-C ... T-GTI-16v/

Tighe Cams:http://www.tighecams.com.au/GTI%20HYDRAULIC.htm
fireflyse liked this
By macuserman
@suprf1y I having been mulling over my cam options and it was mentioned to me that some cam profiles may require me to use mechanical vs hydraulic lifters? What’s the cuttoff point for the cams you make and is there any disadvantage to having to switch from hydraulic to mech?
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
i have the most aggressive cams from mike in my gti. oem hyd lifters.
By macuserman
blueturbofly wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Have you driven with those cams much? How’s drivability, do you like them?
fireflyse liked this
By fireflyse
Custom Custom Avatar
macuserman wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 am

I can’t speak for the 4 cylinder engines, but I have two of Mike’s 365/222 cams and they work extremely well. Idle is lumpy but stable and consistent, they don’t foul the plugs and except for moving the power band up in the rpm range, I don’t see any harm in part throttle driveability.
macuserman, Walt liked this
By suprf1y
Posts Avatar
macuserman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

@suprf1y it was mentioned to me that some cam profiles may require me to use mechanical vs hydraulic lifters? What’s the cuttoff point for the cams you make and is there any disadvantage to having to switch from hydraulic to mech?

Mechanical lifter profiles require mechanical lifters, and hydraulic lifter profiles require hydraulic lifters. The profiles themselves are actually different. There are positives and negatives to both, but these days, and for our purposes either one is good. I don’t sell any solid lifter profile cams because there’s no need for them on the G series engine. It’s one thing when you have a valve train with a cam in block, lifters, rockers, and pushrods (where most of the myths come from - the small block chevy days), or a small bucket style lifter opening little valves. The DOHC arrangement on the G series engine allows for high RPM on hydraulic lifters with no valve float.
On the G series I’ve never seen an application where I thought there was an advantage to run mechanical lifters, so while I do have some solid lifter profiles, I don’t sell any. Setting them up is a pain, and there are no real advantages.
macuserman, fireflyse liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
macuserman wrote:
blueturbofly wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 pm

nice lumpy idle. there was some tweaking to the idle air valve , (bump the idle up) but other than that there really wasn’t an issue.
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
suprf1y wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 am
macuserman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

@suprf1y it was mentioned to me that some cam profiles may require me to use mechanical vs hydraulic lifters? What’s the cuttoff point for the cams you make and is there any disadvantage to having to switch from hydraulic to mech?

Mechanical lifter profiles require mechanical lifters, and hydraulic lifter profiles require hydraulic lifters. The profiles themselves are actually different. There are positives and negatives to both, but these days, and for our purposes either one is good. I don’t sell any solid lifter profile cams because there’s no need for them on the G series engine. It’s one thing when you have a valve train with a cam in block, lifters, rockers, and pushrods (where most of the myths come from - the small block chevy days), or a small bucket style lifter opening little valves. The DOHC arrangement on the G series engine allows for high RPM on hydraulic lifters with no valve float.
On the G series I’ve never seen an application where I thought there was an advantage to run mechanical lifters, so while I do have some solid lifter profiles, I don’t sell any. Setting them up is a pain, and there are no real advantages.

So your 365/222* very aggressive street/race. Very rough but stable idle is hydraulic? Back in the day the largest you did was like 8.5mm lift.
By 92GT
Posts Avatar
suprf1y wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12 am

Yes it is.
I had the 210/340, 218/350 and 226/375 from the beginning

So the 365 and 375 are hydraulic?
What did you do to your Swift today

bought more parts....a running, somewhat driving […]

RZCrew Garage Intakes

A word to the wise. SRD are rip off artist. Avoid[…]

92 Black GT

I tighten my alternator today, cleaned down the ca[…]