Place for chatting and discussing anything unrelated to swifts.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
did more cleaning up….nothing came in for me to fix yesterday, only had a small zama carb to finish cleaning / re-assemble….

cleaned out the electronic warranty holding area….wow, what a bunch of Milwaukee and rigid power tool stuff …not much dewalt stuff…
the electronics are all combined with the switch and field ( being brushless) so, if the switch is bad, you get everything new, except for the stator and housing / case….
did more re-organizing, now have more shelf space… ;-) found more random used parts…
this shop has never been this clean in a long time…i even hand-washed the floor under the one shelf- it was solid with grease / oil…a big fire hazard…
i was so bored i vacuumed the whole work area….to hell with sweeping…
hey, i treat my work space like my second home…
the only thing i didnt touch was my co-workers bench…its a mess, but thats the way he works. i have no clue what is good or garbage on the bench, his tools are everywhere…. :laugh:
so, today is a half day, festive drinks and snacks, then off until jan 3rd…unless there is a big dump of snow, then the boss will call me in….i dont mind that ;-)
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
had monday off (paid stat) but work was open..some stuff came in…some really trashed snowblowers, and 6 leafblowers, and 3 sweepster power brooms…
the beat up snow blowers have the typical owners…get it fixed, but dont spend much money on it…. :laugh: plus the kicker? these came in with charity auction gift certificates, for tune up specials….and i know for a fact they didnt pay full face value for them, so its a loss of money on our side…
the school board stuff is usually easy repairs, but they can try to be cheap as well….they have a new bean counter over there , and he has some weird ideas on how to save money…that has wound up costing him more money in the long run….smart like brick…but hey, this guy went to university… :-/
one of their leafblowers came in, not running…..well, it was running, then died, then restarted and died again….
took it apart, the crank bearings are shot, the con rod bearing is GONE, just little fragments in the crank-case, and the crank itself has a large crack thru it :-o
it has been cold , - 35 and lower…and that building that i work in really sucks at retaining the heat…its an older cinder-block building, with minimum insulation…and if that bay door is opened a few times during the day, it gets damn cold back there where i work…even with the large overhead furnace cranked up …the building is just terrible at keeping heat.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
all caught up, so i am assembling an engine, that all the parts have finally shown up for…. a '‘L head ’' briggs opposed twin…wiped it out really good after the machine shop bored the cylinders, and turned the crank…
installed #1 piston to the rod- have to install the pistons a certain way on the rod, but also the rod has to be installed a specific way to the crank / block…notch on piston towards flywheel, oil hole on rod faces up…oil hole faces down on # 2 rod…
installed new front crank seal , installed crank to block, installed lifters, then timing gear and camshaft…
lots of atf and lubri-plate, and #1 piston went in no problem, tq rod cap to 190 inch lbs… :laugh:

start on second piston? thats where it went to crap. the oil expander ring is damaged ( was wrapped in plastic, unopened) and #2 rod has a nasty scratch across the bearing surface….
both boxes were sealed, all parts in bags…but still damaged :-/
so, had to call the customer, because they sourced these parts from e-bay…he has to do the leg work on warranty issues- but he bought these parts back in october…its been a long wait for other parts to arrive…
hopefully he can get warranty…if not, its more money out of his pocket….he already is in deep for this 16 hp twin…more than what i spent on my bill at the machine shop for my last 3 cyl n/a rebuild :-o

so,i could have had the engine fully assembled yesterday, but now its moved off to another table, covered in plastic…. :-(
pontiac truck

water pump leak. :-( engine oil leak :-( water p[…]

92 Black GT

I put down the dynomat and test fitting the brand […]

87 Turbo shell

how is it for rust? Can I see the floor pan?

new job

all caught up, so i am assembling an engine, that[…]