Place for chatting and discussing anything unrelated to swifts.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
more mowers from the competition , not running properly….and a lawnmower from an ex employee….he was let go due to his crappy attitude and flat out poor mechanic skill….he is (or was ) tuning up lawnmowers in his garage until the city shut him down, for no business license, no air make up unit, improper zoning, etc….
he was all over facecrack peddling his '‘work’'. and talking trash about where i work and the other employees i work with and the owners.
KARMA !!!

i convinced the boss to buy an ultrasonic cleaner, 2.5 liter w/ heat…..what a nice little machine, for $98….may just have to go buy one for myself. made quick work of a dirty carb that i threw in there, with some sort of '‘environmental’' degreaser…. :-D
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
ran away yesterday at lunch and bought myself the same ultrasonic cleaner . now i will be throwing everything that will fit into it… :-D cant beat that price….
did a honda suitcase generator yesterday…spent more time stripping plastic off of it, than actually fixing it….had a plugged choke jet, and a too tight exhaust valve rocker….came in with the complaint of ''check fuel / choke / on off switch- all built into one, a knob that is electrical on /off, fuel on / off and choke on/off all built into one…
usually that assembly is worn out, along with the fuel on/ off cable…but this one was good, it was the valves and carb that needed work…but at least there was honda engineering at work, so it was designed to be worked on…not like chinese garbage…

got myself a stihl 250c chainsaw, for free, needs an engine….$80 for a short block…
Walt liked this
By macuserman
blueturbofly wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 am

ran away yesterday at lunch and bought myself the same ultrasonic cleaner . now i will be throwing everything that will fit into it… :-D cant beat that price….

Which one did you get? I’ve been wanting one of those for awhile.
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
macuserman wrote:
blueturbofly wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 am

Which one did you get? I’ve been wanting one of those for awhile.

its a ‘grip’ brand- Grand Rapids Industrial Products brand….for $98 i cant complain…only downside is that the stainless basket is NOT removable, it is integrated into the plastic body….has a plastic lift out bottom screen….heats the fluid really hot, like burn your fingers hot…will get some pics of it when its out of the box and set up. would easily do 8, maybe 10 lifters at a time, across the bottom…
i am using some sort of '‘green’' environmental fluid in it, says its great for de-greasing, seems to work good…hey, it was free to the shop as a trial, so i dumped it in to try it…seems to work good.
vinegar didnt work so good, it turned the steel black… :-o
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
ugh today sucked…
spent over 5 hours on a rototiller…. :-( and it still dont run. cleaned carb and tank, and it fired right up, then went to tune the carb and it died….? no spark ….hmm….pull the cover, recoil pawls, fly-wheel, points cover, file /adjust points, re-assemble, has good spark, fire it up and take it outside to tune carb, go to rev it up and it dies…???? no spark AGAIN… this time it sheared the key on the crankshaft, replace that, and still no spark….install new points, no spark…swap coil, very weak spark, but not enough to fire the engine….then back to no spark…swap out a different flywheel ( magneto ) and still no spark….swapped in the oem coil, no spark….
every time you need to get at the points, or change the coil, the flywheel/ magneto needs to come off… :mad:
so i finally told the boss i was done with it, that it was getting pushed into the corner for now…
then a mower i did, earlier this week, wouldnt start..talk about look like a fool in front of customers…it ran fine after i did the carb job on tuesday, but today it wouldnt start…
pulled the carb off, didnt see anything out of place, no garbage in it…gave it another cleaning, installed and it fired and ran on the first pull…
put it outside and let it run for 20 minutes… restarted just fine…will check it monday morning, see if it starts or not….
at least its friday. but i lost lots of time on that tiller. :-(
and i hurt my thumb…got caught in the flywheel, while checking for spark.. :mad:
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
so, the owner of the roto-tiller showed up and wanted to talk to me about his tiller, and i gave him the run down of what i tried , to make it run…he even mention that it did the same thing to him, thats why he brought it in….
it was like telling someone that their loved one is not coming back… :-( he owned the tiller since the ’80s, it was like family to him, he mentioned how many gardens he tilled for family and friends, i could swear he was getting teary eyed, he even came to the back to look at it one last time….half taken apart….

then not even ten minutes later, the corpse isnt even cold, and the boss is trying to sell parts off of it! :-o but he has no clue what fits what…

its busy, and most customers can understand that…but then there is the one or two customers that EXPECT you to drop what you are repairing, and do their stuff RIGHT NOW….

umm, HARD NO. wait your turn like everyone else. the only things that get done right away are loose recoil rewinds, lawn mower blade and chainsaw chain sharpening….
too many time i have done a rush job, for the customer to not follow thru, and pick up their item….
the parts guy out front is straight to the point with customers…'‘can i get it done asap?’'
NO, THERE IS OTHER PEOPLE AHEAD OF YOU….we will call you when its done.
but the boss is always re-arranging the work orders…they go by number, and he tries to bump certain ones ahead…but i go thru and re-arrange them, and do them in order.
if i dont feel like doing a certain one (due to time constraints, or waiting on parts), i will bump it…
and giving people an estimate is a real crap shoot….

the parts guy needs to be more pro-active, i have brought it to both the bosses attention, but they dont seem to get it, or they have been duped into believing whatever the parts guy says…
if an item comes in needing only a specific part, order said part BEFORE i start working on it. easy peasy. some parts take weeks to arrive, if i get a day, or two jump on ordering it makes all the difference….
when i first started this job, a mower would roll in, needing a simple cable…then mower would sit for a week or more, until the invoice was pulled for repairs, then diagnosed , then order cable, wait a week or more for the cable….
so, you are out a mower for almost a month? not cool.

example, again. need a fuel tank shut-off, honda tiller…came in last week….i told the parts guy to order me a valve, the same day it came in, but…
i get to the tiller invoice yesterday, ask the parts guy if he ordered me a valve, he said no…and it may take over a week to get one…
:mad:
i think he needs to retire. but the bosses are relying on him too much, and not learning the inventory system. frustrating. :-(
Walt liked this
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
had an interesting day yesterday….boss was looking for a mower , it was an older invoice number, i told him it wasnt there, but he insisted it was, because the invoice was up front in the unpaid/ not picked up pile….
he was calling customers yesterday, shop is getting full of repaired items…calls one guy, tells him he has an outstanding bill, but the customer was adamant that he paid the bill and picked up his mower….but the bill isnt paid, and the mower isnt in our shop…hmmm

so the boss leaves everyday at 3:30, but we are open till 5…
guy shows up that the boss called about his unpaid bill, and was SCREAMING AND CURSING that we had ripped him off, this year and the year before, so henry asks him for the invoice he paid, and it wasnt even his name on the one he paid….there is a $20 difference that the shop owes him, for paying the wrong bill….but he would not surrender the invoice so it could be dealt with…he just kept on screaming and cursing and slamming the glass door and then said he was going to call the police because we wouldnt give back the $20 he overpaid….
this was an older guy as well.
i could hear the yelling from the back of the shop, as i was sharpening a mower blade, and went up front to see what the deal was.
henry was calm, cool & collected when dealing with this irate customer. the customer would not surrender the invoice that he paid, so we could verify that he indeed paid the wrong bill, and was entitled to some money back…
henry did catch a glimpse of the invoice, and noticed instantly it didnt have the complaining customers name on it….but maybe when the customer actually noticed the wrong name, he did not come back in, he just left, feeling like a dumbass….

it would have been a simple mistake/ simple refund but the customer came unglued on henry….
but then again, i dont know how the boss handled the call, if he was accusing the customer of picking up his mower, and not paying the bill…
but if the customer could read, he would have noticed the wrong name / ticket number….

this is why the boss should be at his business until closing, not worrying about going home and making himself dinner…
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
so, more info on the asshat customer….he had a warranty claim for a new tool at another company…and guess who the warranty repair depot is? it is us! so this customer gave them both barrels stating he wanted a new tool, he doesnt want us working on it…

and the other boss even offered him more money, than what he was entitled too, but that still didnt make the customer happy…he is more concerned that we had him pay the wrong bill, wont give us back the improper invoice, but cant seem to understand that we are trying to make it right…. :-/

fixed a old honda tiller today….boy its nice to work on JAPANESE stuff compared to CHINESE stuff….but even the newer japanese stuff is being made cheaper. :-(
By blueturbofly
Donations Avatar
lots of stuff showing up….yes, its summer, and people leave their stuff until the last minute, then expect it to get done instantly, and get mad with us that it may be a few days ( i am the only ice repair person there) until they get their items back….pushmowers can be done in .5 of an hour, usually .75 of an hour, IF there are no major issues, like for instance, the customer '‘trying’' to repair it, then it comes to the shop in pieces… :x

chainsaws suck. they ae always so dirty and oily. well, anything two-stoke…as long as it isnt a ohv 2 stroke…the muffler always gets pulled first and check the piston and jug for scoring.
old chainsaws/ grass whippers that there are no parts available for… sure, we can get carb kits, but hard parts are few and far between….and then if you do find parts… the cost… :-o
missed a day of work last last week, i am not behind by much, but the boss is getting worried…but then he bumps stuff ahead in the line, cuz people called for their stuff, i have told him before that the invoices get done in order, unless its a comeback, or something waiting for parts…told him that if i jumped people ahead of other people stuff wont get done, and thats no fair to everyone…

so, i did two trimmers while i was waiting on a carb soak, he mentioned that the customers wanted them for the week-end….AND GUESS WHAT ? THE CUSTOMERS NEVER SHOWED UP ON FRIDAY TO PICK THEM UP…. :laugh:

SKU:AP-HSK-SUZUKI G13 is the ARP head studkit. ord[…]

new job

there is a sign on the wall, as well as printed on[…]

Turbo Exhaust Manifold

One of my goals was to not increase the injector s[…]

My 1992 rebuild album

Wait...are you seeing it? Because it’s not s[…]