Have a sweet ride? Tell us all about here!
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
This is where it began, with the existing power unit to be extracted:

Donor block complete with internals already removed, but dirty af:

After being tanked and hosed down:

Final prep before paint:

Painted in high temp engine enamel silver:
Last edited by gt4tified on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
Cultus head, will be reused. After tanking in degreaser, blown out with compressed air and sun dried. Sprayed valve train thoroughly with WD40 to displace any residual moisture and prevent rust.

Head and block cleaned and waiting for bottom end internals:
Last edited by gt4tified on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
Old power unit out!

Disassembly begins…axle carrier bearing needs to be changed…too much play!

Parts bagged & tagged, brackets, fuel rail, intake manifold sprayed:

Sent crank to be polished and checked for journal size. Also sent to machine shop axle carrier for bearing removal. Removed piston rings and tanked pistons and rods in degreaser overnight. More pics soon.
By macuserman
@gt4tified I moved your thread to the builds section since that’s really where it belongs. :) I’m enjoying it keep up the good posting! I need to get rid of that photos section it is just confusing for everyone and not needed.
gt4tified liked this
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
macuserman wrote:

@gt4tified I moved your thread to the builds section since that’s really where it belongs. :) I’m enjoying it keep up the good posting! I need to get rid of that photos section it is just confusing for everyone and not needed.

Thanks much. You saved me the trouble. I was going to transfer the pics across to this section.
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
DECEB580-734B-4105-BEE7-A5CFD6960A17.jpeg
DECEB580-734B-4105-BEE7-A5CFD6960A17.jpeg (778.09 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Crank back from the shop. Machinist said journals are all good and in spec for std. sized bearings.
06A5BFA3-11BB-451A-8F74-EDEA55B4A06D.jpeg
06A5BFA3-11BB-451A-8F74-EDEA55B4A06D.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 497 times
Got me some JDM bearings (NDC is an OEM manufacturer for Nissan)…high quality stuff.
78C0A88D-25F7-47CC-B20F-54CC3D8ADA65.jpeg
78C0A88D-25F7-47CC-B20F-54CC3D8ADA65.jpeg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 497 times
Honed the cylinders…there was some surface rust and minor pitting so I had to hone in 3 stages. I checked the gaps with the old, but low mileage rings and the gaps across cylinders were a hair under the tolerance of .7mm so I‘ll be getting new ones in 0.010” oversized next week.
Walt liked this
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
Still waiting on my parts suppliers to locate new rings…apparently 0.010” oversized G13b rings is an extremely tough thing to find locally.

Also having a time getting the axle carrier bearing and seals locally. If by next week I can’t locate them, I’ll have to look at maybe car parts dot com or rock auto.

Was going to install water pump tonight but I noticed the water intake pipe still had some rust on the inside, so I gotta deal with that first. Hoping some muratic acid and water will do the trick. The o-ring seal also looks a bit stretched so gonna have to hit the parts store tomorrow.

Nothing new to report, but I’ll just throw up this pic of a swift gti and cultus GTi intake manifold side by side. The cultus intake plenum looks significantly larger because it has been match ported for a SR20 throttle body, which was already part of the old setup.
Walt liked this
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
Don’t you just hate waiting around? Well, I do. So while the boffins search me some piston rings, I began the bottom end assembly.
Crank and main bearing caps are in.
Rear main seal as well.
And the oil pump. This was an oil pump I bought new brand from the dealership that I had only put about 200km on.
Last edited by gt4tified on Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gt4tified
Posts Avatar
Got my piston rings in 0.010” oversized. When I checked my ring gap though, there was none, even a slight overlap, so tomorrow I’ll go by a friend’s shop with the block and have them filed to suit. I’ll probably go for a gap of 0.25mm since I’m running a CR of 12:1 and revving to 8600.

Given that there was not much else to do yesterday on the engine, I disassembled the pistons and conrods, cleaned, measured, lubed and reassembled them as per the repair manual’s instructions.

The connecting rod bearings will probably be fitted later today. Until then, cheers!
Breezy

Fixed Breezy's last issue with the air condition[…]

Wanted: 89-98 GT, GTi

Mine's not officially for sale but always open to […]

Increased Forum Spam

Hi Guys, I just wanted to say that you may see s[…]

The Esteem was supposed to be the natural successo[…]