Have a sweet ride? Tell us all about here!
By suzukitom
Posts Avatar
you might want to monitor excess crankcase pressure . I have seen this done with a pressure gauge line plumbed through a fitting threaded through the oil filler cap.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
suzukitom wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:43 pm

you might want to monitor excess crankcase pressure . I have seen this done with a pressure gauge line plumbed through a fitting threaded through the oil filler cap.

I think I have the crankcase pressure under control now. If I was running more horsepower I probably have to run a new port from the pan up to the catch can system.

I’m measured the total drop from the bottom of the turbo to the top of the return fitting in the pan and it is only slightly more then 2″. I think I can raise the whole manifold by an 1″. I really think this is the cause of the residual turbo smoke. Since I don’t really want to cut up my manifold I’m going to try it with the new banjo fitting/ restrictor that I got. I cleaned the housing down and began reassembly. If I’m lucky the PCV system delete will have solved the turbo smoke. For now I’m going to leave the turbo blanket off so I can monitor a lot more closely.

I widened the wastegate port and trimmed the wastegate wall today and think I discovered the cause of the intermittent oil pressure gauge. Either way I’m installing the analog gauge in the oil pressure switch port and will temporarily run that into the cabin to monitor while driving.

If I do end up raising the manifold up an inch I will also have to add an inch to the downpipe. The good news would be that it would give me a lot more clearance at the bottom of the turbo from the engine mounts and allow me to run the oil filter in the stock position if I wanted to.
jumpinwired liked this
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
Almost all back together with changes to wastegate and oil line. I wish I could get to everything a little bit easier than taking so many things off first. I also put the analog oil pressure tester on and brought it into the cabin for some road test verification. I’ll find out shortly if I fixed the issue with the oil pressure gauge. I believe it was the sender. I was hoping to spend the car time this month build Megasquirt 2, but I have to get all this stuff squared away first. I left the turbo blanket off for now.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
So far so good. While the boost creep is not entirely gone it is down to about 11 psi which is a lot better then almost 16 psi. I will have to at some point cut more of the wastegate divider off. Not any time soon. No turbo smoke at the moment even after a few WOT runs. I thought I could see a little bit of residue coming out of the turbo exhaust seal, but nothing dripping. I’ll keep an eye on it, but would rather wait until I upgrade to a larger turbo and at that point move the turbo flange up an 1″ by cutting and adding to the closest side to the engine. I think at that time I will move it out ½″ also. Won’t do it until I have the turbo in hand. Thinking about a samll Turbonetics ball bearing T3 45.
By GT4LIFE
Posts Avatar
Correction Turbonetics T3 50 with a .48 or .63 A/R casing with oil and water cooled CHRA (also can get a .65 and .85 turbine casing. It comes with a F1-49 5/16″ turbine. Inducer is 58.928 mm (2.320″) and exducer is 48.9966 mm (1.929″). The trim is 69. Compressor is 42.52 mm inducer and a 60.12 mm exducer. I would get the ceramic ball bearing CHRA. Turbonetics has already moved on to another line up and I’m hoping these will drop in price by next Black Friday.

Right now I’m hitting redline before I build a whole lot of boost in first and I know there is quite a bit of turbo lag. Hard to say exactly what is going on in first; might be hitting the left line of compressor map in 1st. It build full boost in 2nd, but really takes off in 3rd and 4th. Not sure yet what the top end feels like. I think it will pull through redline in 5th. The good news is I’m a lot less likely to destroy a transmission the way it is setup.

For comparsion the IHI RHB52 VJ11 I’m running is journal bearing with a tiny turbine shaft. The inducer is 51.8 mm (2.03937″) and the exducer is 42.4 mm (1.669″). The A/R of the turbine is 0.79. The trim is 67. Compressor side is 39 mm inducer and a 52.5 mm exducer. If I switch to the T3-50 with the .48 compressor I won’t know until after I install it what the true effect will be since it shift the A/R down but increase the size of the turbine and wheel.
What did you do to your Swift today

fixed a rather annoying squeaky / grinding rear dr[…]

GT Valve Springs?

I spent a little time looking for a suitable repla[…]

T Shirts Now Available!!

yup, my shirts arrived yesterday. should have boug[…]

Hello Suz Sw Repos

Good to see you here. I might have a GT 5 speed l[…]